Treadmill walking can be a great cardio exercise, but you need the right equipment. That means getting the best shoes for treadmill walking. This may surprise you, but the running shoes you wear when you jog may not be the best option if you’re going to walk on a treadmill. You actually have a different motion when you’re on the treadmill, as your heels will strike the ground, roll through from the heel to your toes, and then push off with the toe. That means you need to buy the best shoes for treadmill walking that’s probably different from your regular running shoes.
And don’t even think about going barefoot either. It may be trendy and supposedly “natural”, but you’ll also most likely get blisters. You may stub and hurt your toes at that point where the belt meets the front of the treadmill. The machine also generates heat, and that can be rather uncomfortable for your bare feet. So take care of yourself and optimize your treadmill walking health benefits by picking from any of these great shoes:
Top Shoes For Treadmill Reviews 2020
Asics Men’s GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe
Did you know that Asics actually stood for the Latin phrase Anima Sana InCorpore Sano? It means ‘a sound mind in a sound body’, and it’s really a genius move if you get this if you’re going to go walking on a treadmill regularly. The features here offer the proper stabilization and support for each step. The forefoot and rear gel cushioning system provide a very comfy yet firm cushion for your feet. Many consider this the most comfortable shoes they’ve ever tried for walking on a treadmill and this sure keeps your feet from hurting.
- Excellent upper fit
- Enhanced breathable mesh upper
- The medial window that alleviates the pressure on the bunion.
- Excellent arch support for those with flat arches and plantar fasciitis
- DuoMaxstructure reduces the stress on the foot caused by over-pronation and offers more support for the feet
- Trusstic technology prevents excessive shoe twisting to stabilize the shoe
- The gel in the rear and forefoot absorbs much of the impact
- Padded tongue and collar with a removable insole
- Ortholite sock liner for comfort and antimicrobial protection
Now if I had flat feet or plantar fasciitis, I’d just stop reading this entire article and just get this. This has got to be the most comfortable walking shoes you can get. Even if you’re not using a treadmill, you can just out this on since you’re probably going to be walking at some time during the day and night.
These aren’t really great for running constantly, but it works for hiking too. Get it in black, and it also works for most outfits. The lightweight makes it an all-day option for everyone.
- The most comfortable shoes for walking or just standing around
- Offers great support for plantar fasciitis
- Reduces stress for the feet
- Doesn’t smell as bad afterwards
- No reflectors at the back, which makes this best for indoor use
- Maybe hard to find in shoe stores
RYKA Women’s Sport Walker 6 Walking Shoe
The black pair comes with purple accents, while the others are mostly white with accents of grey and dark pink, light blue and gray, orange and dark brown, or chrome silver with pink. You don’t get this for just the looks though, especially if you’re walking on a treadmill in the privacy of your own home. But you need to get the white with the light blue and gray accents or the taupe with the dark brown and orange. That’s because these particular models have breathable mesh in the upper. The other versions are all synthetic leather in the upper, which is good for outdoor use when it might rain. But in a gym with a treadmill, the mesh is your best choice. Put it on and you’ll notice the lightweight. The upper has leather for support and mesh for breathability. The molded EVA midsole gives you a comfy walk while the rubber outsole gives great traction.
- Synthetic leather and mesh in the upper for support and breathability
- Molded EVA midsole for a very comfortable walk
- Rubber outsole offers terrific traction
- The Scotchguard Defender treatment makes it resistant to water and staining
- The Ortholite insole is breathable too even while it provides cushioning and moisture management
The lightweight is always a good thing for walking. But you get ample support for your feet, while you also have other features that make this very comfortable to wear e4ven for extended periods of time. If you have plantar fasciitis, you can just put in an orthotic and you’re good to go. The good news is that all these great features come at a very low price point too!
- Very affordable
- Quite comfortable when you get used to it
- Nice traction
- Looks fantastic
- May need time to break in properly
Adidas Men’s Adizero Boston 6 M Running Shoe
Adidas has always been among the best brands for athletic gear, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it makes an appearance on this list. The popularity of the brand isn’t just due to great marketing ploys, but to authentic excellence. The Adizero Boston 6 proves that as well. This is a lightweight pair of shoes that’s great for comfortable walking. The weight reduction is due to the use of breathable mesh for the toe cap. The mesh also reduces the chafing and you get fewer blisters. What’s more, the midsole has been designed to give you greater energy as you roll through from the heel to your toes.
- Lightweight (size 9 weighs 8.5 ounces)
- “Boost” cushioning is extremely responsive as it seems to give back energy
- Engineered mesh provides breathability and comfortable fit
- Torsion system gives mid-foot integrity
- The soft material and the wide feet results in fewer blisters and less chafing
- The rubber outsole offers fantastic traction even for wet outdoor conditions
Lots of people would just get this for the brand and for the great color schemes, though I’d just pick the all-black version to have it go well with any outfit. It’s a great pair of shoes for walking, as it is comfortable while providing enough support.
- The foam and the rubber sole can last for 700 miles or more
- Feels very light
- The cushioning is excellent
- Looks great
- Maybe a bit more expensive than other brands
ASICS Women’s GEL-Kayano 20 Running Shoe
The Kayano series has been around for a long time now, and this particular model celebrates the 20th anniversary of the GEL-Kayano. It has enhanced features that offer a nice fit and a comfy walking experience. Whether you’re on a treadmill or just walking about, this pair of shoes feel great.
- Weighs 9.2 ounces
- Heel height at 24mm, with the forefoot height at 11mm
- FluidFit upper uses stretch mesh with reinforcements to make it fit like a glove
- FluidRide midsole offers both cushioning and bounce-back properties, along with great durability and lightweight
- Plus 3 midsole tech also adds 3mm of height on these women’s shoes, for Achilles tendon relief
- Duomax system boosts platform to support even with reduced weight
- Heel Clutching tech has an exoskeletal heel counter to enhance support and improve the fit for the heel
- Trusstic tech gives you mid-foot structural integrity and improved gait efficiency
- Rear foot and forefoot GEL cushioning helps the foot transition through the gait
- The Guidance Line vertical flex groove also boosts gait efficiency
- Gender-specific cushioning with lower-density midsole top layer for better midsole compression
- Lots of technology
- Provides efficient gait
- Extremely comfy
- Not everyone likes the color options
New Balance Men’s Mw813
- Soft leather upper
- Comfort collar
- 13mm drop
- Rollbar tech offers support for those with severe overpronation or supination
- Looks nice
- Quite comfy for all-day use
- Protects against overpronation and supination
- A bit heavier than some other shoes
- Isn’t as breathable as well.
Reebok Women’s Ultra V DMX Max Walking Shoe
This is the Walk Ultra, and lots of ladies appreciate this as it is specifically designed to help people to walk much more efficiently. The main feature is the unique transition bridge, so you get that smooth feel beginning from the impact of the heel all the way to the toe-off motion for the next step. While it does offer some “feminine” color schemes with violet or hot pink, there’s also a no-nonsense all-black version that looks great too.
- Transition bridge gives you a seamless experience for every stage of your gait
- The flexibility for the underfoot allows for natural strides
- The DMX Air technology shifts the air with your weight for more efficient cushioning
- Extremely effective for walking
- Very comfy for use all day
- Looks good
- Not as breathable as others
- May seem a bit chunky
Factors to Consider While Choosing the Shoes for Treadmill Walking
If you’re looking for the best shoes for walking on a treadmill, focus on the following considerations:
Specially Designed for Walking
Often the manufacturer will point out that their shoes are made specifically for walking, not running or hiking. Walking tends to use a different set of motions, and so you need walking shoes that have different features from running shoes. The best shoes tend to help you get the energy transferred from the heel to the toe-off.
You need to feel comfortable with each step, and the cushioning should absorb the impact on the treadmill. You may want to also check if the shoes you’re considering are designed for your particular foot issues, like flat feet or high arches.
The problem with too much cushioning is that you get more weight, and that’s a problem for walking length distances. You need to balance it out properly so you have enough cushioning while the weight is still on the light side.
While you can read reviews from customers saying how comfortable the shoes are, the best gauge is to try the shoes yourself. Sometimes the shoes will also need breaking in. It’s also crucial that you get the right size.
Many people like having mesh on the upper of the shoe. This boosts breathability and reduces weight. As you’re going to use this indoors, you won’t need to worry about getting your feet wet from the rain or from streams.
The best of the shoes also bend to accommodate your feet as you’re walking.
In general, the best shoes tend to cost more. But some excellent walking shoes come with reasonable prices, especially older models.
How many miles will the shoe last? A more expensive shoe may be worth its price if you can rely on it to last for several hundred miles of walking.
The looks are probably not all that important especially if you’re going to sue this on a home treadmill. But a nice-looking pair of shoes is always a great option, so you can use this for other (more public) occasions.
FAQs( Frequently Asked Questions)
What happens when you don’t get the right shoes for treadmill walking?
You may get blisters and calluses on your feet. The uncomfortable feeling may also discourage you from doing your treadmill walking workout regularly.
What kind of walking shoes are best for flat feet?
The shoes should help with the tendency of the feet to roll inward when walking. The shoes should be designed to stabilize the feet.
What about high arches?
When walking energetically, the arches often fall and roll outward. The best walking shoes will be flexible and absorb the shock effectively.
Should the shoes fit tightly?
No. That’s because very tight shoes can lead to discomfort and maybe even blistering.
Try out any of these options as your best shoes for treadmill walking. Make sure that you have a generous money-back guarantee time period so you can try the shoes for yourself. They have to fit your feet perfectly and accommodate your motions for each step. If you feel uncomfortable in any way, replace them with a different size before you opt for a different pair of walking shoes.