For most people, treadmills are the first thing that will come to mind when they want to exercise at home. Because walking and running are two of the most basic forms of workout, it makes perfect sense to start with a treadmill when creating a home gym. The fact that there are now several options for this kind of machinery is a great plus as you now have the option to choose which one suits you best. If you’re thinking of making the most out of your workouts with the best manual treadmill, let this guide tell you all about your most popular options. We’ll also give you a few tips on choosing the right one for you, so stick around if you want to make the right fitness investment.
While there are lots of amazing heavy-duty treadmills available today, manual treadmills are all the rage lately. Even professional trainers prefer them as they offer tougher workouts. As they will require you to use your own energy to move the belt, you will really need to expend a good amount of effort to get a workout. And if you even want to get more out of these exercise equipment, you can even opt for the curved belt varieties since they’re more challenging. Which manual treadmills should you check out? Here are six of our top recommendations:
Top Manual Treadmills Reviews 2019
StairMaster HIITMill Self-Powered Incline Treadmill with Farmers Carry Lift Arms – Non-Motorized Treadmill (Editors Choice)
Hailed as a beast of a treadmill, the StairMaster HIITMill Self-Powered Incline Treadmill with Farmers Carry Lift Arms – Non-Motorized Treadmill is the perfect item to start our list. It has a long list of offerings making it one of the best manual treadmills in the market today. What makes this piece of equipment special is its design. Firstly it comes with a fixed incline so you’re automatically guaranteed that you’ll always get a strenuous workout. Next is it’s Farmers Carry lift arms which will allow you to lift weights while you walk. With this versatility, you can be sure to do a wide range of exercises with just one machine.
- Non-motorized, self-powered, commercial-rated treadmill
- Fixed 11% incline
- Adjustable magnetic brake resistance
- Farmers Carry lift arms can accommodate up to 90 lbs of weight plates on each side
- Plate storage for Farmers Carry lift arms
- 3mm PVC cushioned turf belt that is compatible with plastic field cleats
- Olympic plates and weight plates are not included
- Oversized transport wheels
- Rear carry handle
- 2-year parts warranty, 1-year labor warranty
- Console accessory available but not included
- We cannot emphasize enough how versatile the StairMaster HIITMill is. Being a manual treadmill that you can also use to carry out Farmers Walk workouts and other kinds of exercises make it a solid addition to any home gym.
- This heavy-duty exercise equipment is made by one of the most reputable manufacturers in the industry so you can really count on this machine to perform well.
- Its fixed incline can always guarantee challenging workouts.
- If you like doing Farmers Walk, this could be a safe and convenient piece of equipment to have for such exercises.
- Its plastic cleat compatibility guarantees its durability and good traction.
- You can do lots of different types of exercises on this machine.
- Like other manual treadmills, there are no motorized parts that will wear out and break.
- It has a convenient weights storage so you don’t have to fuss about the weights if you want to do different routines on the machine.
- You can easily adjust the belt’s magnetic resistance to tweak your workout accordingly.
- Its price tag is rather hefty.
SpeedFit Speedboard ProXL
If running is your preferred type of workout, then, the SpeedFit Speedboard ProXL is a solid choice for you. While manual treadmills are not known for their speed, this item tends to be a bit different. Unlike others on this list, it’s one of the easiest to run in since it’s specifically designed for the said activity. The Speedboard ProXL will not just let you run, though. It will let you run effortlessly. There’s no need to adjust this machine if you want to switch from walking to jogging to sprinting. All you need to do is to go for it and the machine will adjust according to your movements.
- Self-propelled manual treadmill
- Curved running surface
- 3/8″ shock-absorbing cushion running surface
- Slatted belt
- 98 precision ball bearings with 14 roller guides drive system
- Full handrail
- Digital console
- 400 lbs weight limit for running, 800 lbs for walking
- 10-year frame warranty, 5-year belt warranty, 3-year warranty for all components
- We love how sleek and modern this exercise machine looks. It has a streamlined silhouette that is not at all clunky-looking so it can also be a stylish piece to add in your home.
- The SpeedBoard ProXL might need some getting used to at first since you will need to use your own strength to get it moving. However, it won’t take long for you to get the hang of how to operate this machine.
- Its slatted belt is quite noteworthy because it’s rather unique. Most treadmills have a one-piece belt so the individual slats in this machine is interesting.
- It has a unique modern design that will look nice in most homes or even gyms.
- It has a generous weight limit so lots of folks will find it useful.
- You can run on this manual treadmill so that’s a great plus.
- It’s quite easy to use as you don’t have to fiddle with buttons and controls to start or change up your workout.
- It’s rather pricey.
- The manufacturer’s official website doesn’t list a phone number.
Exerpeutic 100XL High Capacity Magnetic Resistance Manual Treadmill
Intimidated by the price tags of the items above? Fret not because the Exerpeutic 100XL High Capacity Magnetic Resistance Manual Treadmill is a solid budget option. So if you’re not willing to spend thousands of dollars on exercise equipment, this can be a nice choice. Even with its friendly price tag, you’ll get nearly everything you need and more in a manual treadmill with the Exerpeutic 100XL. Not only will you give you challenging workouts but it’s also space-efficient thanks to its foldable and portable design. So if you don’t have a lot of room at home, this can also be a great pick.
- Self-powered manual treadmill
- Twin 6″ diameter flywheels offer consistent performance
- Heart pulse pads on handles
- 16”x45” running surface
- Extra long safety handles
- Reinforced frame
- Quick-release incline adjustments that you can set at 8, 10, and 15 degrees
- Front mounted transport wheels
- 325 lbs load capacity
- Folding mechanism
- Computer console with LCD
- 3-year frame warranty with a free additional 5-year extension, 90-day warranty on all other components with additional 90 days extension
- The Exerpeutic 100XL is one of the more affordable manual treadmills in the market, so it can be a great budget pick for many.
- You can easily adjust the difficulty of your workouts by either changing the incline or changing up the magnetic tension of the running surface.
- It’s foldable so it’s also a space-saving option.
- It comes with a computer console that displays the calories you’ve burned, time you’ve spent on the machine, your heart rate, the distance you’ve covered, and the speed of your movements. No more need for an app or to purchase a console separately.
- It’s very easy to set up and stash away.
- The assembly instructions are not very intuitive.
- The belt can be a bit slippery.
Confidence Fitness Magnetic Manual Treadmill
An even budget-friendlier option is the Confidence Fitness Magnetic Manual Treadmill. Like the Exerpeutic 100XL, it’s a solid budget option but because it’s way more affordable, it can be a more attractive pick to a lot of people. Aside from its price tag, this product also stands out for its space-saving design. It folds up quite nicely so you don’t have worry about it taking up too much room at home. But what’s really impressive about the Confidence Fitness manual treadmill is its peformance. For its very low price it will already give you a solid workout. Its magnetic resistance is well-made so it can really challenge you.
- Self-powered manual treadmill
- 8 levels of magnetic resistance
- 220 lbs load capacity
- Folding mechanism
- Computer console included
- 15”x40.2” running surface
- 12-month warranty
- It’s extremely affordable.
- It’s well-made so you can get great value from this machine.
- It already comes with a computer console that will tell you the amount of calories you’ve burned, distance you’ve traveled, your running or walking speed, and the time you’ve spent on the machine.
- It’s easy to work with. The resistance adjustment is fuss-free. Setting it up and folding it also won’t take too much time and effort.
- It’s very quiet.
- It has a low weight limit so those who are bigger might not find this item to be suitable to their needs.
- There’s no incline adjustment for this manual treadmill, this makes it less challenging than the other items on this list.
EFITMENT Adjustable Incline Magnetic Manual Treadmill w/Pulse Monitor
Another budget pick worth checking out is the Efitment Adjustable Incline Magnetic Manual Treadmill w/ Pulse Monitor. With its high-performance and convenient features, it can perfectly suit the needs of many buyers. Equipped with a roomy running surface as well as adjustable tension and incline, it offers great workouts. As it also designed with a folding mechanism and transportation wheels, it can also be a good choice for those who are after reliable space-saving exercise equipment.
- Self-powered manual treadmill
- 3 levels of adjustable incline (7, 8, and 9 degrees)
- 8 levels of adjustable resistance
- 13.5”x42” running surface
- LCD console with scan function
- Pulse monitor on handles
- 220 lbs weight limit
- Built-in transportation wheels
- Folding mechanism
- It’s easy to set up and fold away so you don’t have to worry about having to fuss over the machine.
- Its adjustable incline and resistance will guarantee that you can change up your exercise routines.
- Its very friendly price makes it an extremely attractive choice since it also comes with great features.
- You can run on this treadmill as it’s sturdy enough.
- It has a fixed incline so you’ll always get a challenging workout.
- The running surface is generous and will accommodate users of various heights.
- It has a relatively low weight limit.
- The assembly instructions included are quite confusing.
Tips On How To Choose The Best Manual Treadmills?
Not because manual treadmills offer attractive advantages over motorized machines does it mean that you can just get the first unit that you’ll come across with. You actually need to be more particular about these exercise equipment as they’re not made equally. Our product recommendations above clearly proves this point. How do you choose the best manual treadmill for the purpose you have in mind, then? Here are a few tips that we suggest you keep in mind.
Manual treadmills come in a very wide price range so having a budget will help you narrow down your options. As our list above shows, you have really high-end and really cheap options. The wide price range can complicate the decision-making process so it would really be a good idea to decide how much you’re willing to spend on a unit to streamline your search. When deciding on a budget, you have to take a few things into consideration. Low-balling means that you should be ready to get what you pay for while splurging also comes with its own risks. Doing some research can help you make an informed choice, so we recommend that you try to get to know more options first before settling on an amount.
Another important consideration when choosing a manual treadmill is the kind of workouts that you want to do on the machine. Again, as our list above must will tell you, some machines are more versatile than others. So if you want to do a wider range of exercises on your equipment, you should look for one that can let you do such.
This is a no-brainer but it’s worth emphasizing that you should always prioritize quality when shopping for any exercise machine. Aside from guaranteeing good value for your money, doing so will also guarantee your safety. Keep in mind, however, that the price tag doesn’t always dictate quality so you shouldn’t worry about having to set a high budget. You will need to be very thorough when researching products so you can get an idea of how durable and dependable the products you’re eyeing are.
Unfortunately, treadmills break over time. While you don’t have to worry about electronic parts conking out, you might still need to get replacement parts after a while. A manufacturer with good customer support will ensure that you don’t have to worry about anything because they got your back.
The best manual treadmill will guarantee you some of the most rewarding workouts so it will really be beneficial for you to find the right one for your needs. Luckily, there are tons of great options available. You just need to make the right call. We’re confident that our guide will get to point you in the right direction so keep them in mind and give them a try. We’re sure you’ll get great results with their help.